And I have been addicted to Crossfit for two years.
Two years ago today I started the standard CC warm up of high knees, fast feet, jumping jacks, squats, push ups, and rotations. The most commonly spoken phrase during my first warm up was:
"Wait, I need to throw up."
Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING related to my present physical capabilities was built from the ground up. I was given millions of opportunities to back out over the next five months of training. Each workout, mostly due to my underlying medical condition, was emotionally battering. I was always last, I was always lifting lighter, I was always physically sick and shaking. In my mind I was "that" person, the one behind everyone else, the weak one, which instead of being completely demotivating as it had been my entire life, something else was happening in my head. Being last was the most motivating thing EV-ER. I wanted to run, I wanted to be strong, I wanted to be a completely different person.
And so I did. When my doctors told me I had to stop exercising I was terrified that my momentum would fail. The past was a death trap in my mind, so each day I did everything that I could to move father and farther away from that place. I convinced myself that no one believed in me. That sounds harsh, but it worked.
The first time I ran 400m without stopping, I sat on the steps of my house and cried. It took me NINE months to get there.
My training became a kind of "I'll show them what I can do...." statement.
And if there is one thing that I love to do, it's showing people how well I CAN do whatever it is they said I couldn't. Square peg WILL go into round hole. Got it?
Friends help. My experience would have been very different had it not been for Catherine plugging away beside me. Someone to run to and complain about how hard it is to sit down, or "can you believe we just did that?" That friend circle has since exploded, and now, if a workout is missed I will get texts from the coaches, emails from friends, and just telling them "I was tired so I slept in" is a ridiculous excuse. Accountability is key. (Thanks for keeping me solid peeps!)
What motivates you to be better to yourself and to others? How can you inject that motivation into every aspect of your life to keep you going when everything around you beckons for you to stop? How will you silence the devil on your shoulder?
2 Year Anniversary WOD:
30 Box Jumps
400m Run
30 Burpees
400m Run
30 Med Ball Cleans 20# ball
400m Run
Time: 13:37
4 comments:
Happy Anniversary! You are a constant source of support and inspiration to me, pretty lady. You might feel lucky to have found CrossFit, but I'm here to tell you: we're the lucky ones.
I'm doing that workout on Saturday in your honor. XOXOXO
Happy Anniversary!! Your determination and journey towards unbelievable fitness and strength is nothing short of amazing. Watching you grow in the gym has helped me grow beyond measure. CONGRATULATIONS from the bottom of my heart. You are not to be messed with!!!
Happy Anniversary! Love your spirit and your way with words. I miss seeing you, working out and talking to you. I will be honoring our friendship, by adding that F^ing awesome WOD to my list for this week!
Love to you!
that workout WAS awesome, and fancy enough, included everything i hated when i started this journey. fun stuff! thank you for your kind words ladies!!! have fun with that wod, it's a good one, one that will be a mainstay.
@bonita, i miss you too. saturdays at the track are coming back around in my future. xox
@ cat and mel, i'm blessed to have such driven and lovely friends, thank you...
Post a Comment