Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Just when you thought your diet couldn't get more restrictive

It gets more restrictive! HA!

After a few hours of research on steps to heal my immune system and many, many webpages suggesting I do the same damn stuff I've been doing for over a year the last alteration on the list that remains unchecked is.......drumroll please........

Nightshades.

Ok, bye bye nightshades. I have one more bell pepper and about a cup of cherry tomatoes, which I will finish, but after that it's over. Six weeks solid, eight weeks if I can swing it.

What's our tally you ask?

NO....

dairy
bread
grains/wheat/flour
eggplant
bell peppers
tomatoes
white potatoes
sugar
all spicy seasonings (save curry powder)
alcohol
fun

That last one was a joke! Ok, for serious now... That list doesn't look too terribly long! What can I eat?

YES....

meat
vegetables
fruit
nuts
seeds

That list looks short, but trust me, when you dig deep it's amazing how much you can squeeze out of just a few ingredients.

The no nightshade rule cured my friend Catherine of tendinitis, maybe it can help my immune system snap back into reality? Only one way to find out....down the rabbit hole we go again....

2 comments:

girlblake said...

After breakfast last week with you and Catherine, I took the no nightshade challenge home to Weston. He's on Day 11 thanks to you guys! I'm still eating a few tomatoes and peppers, but not cooking with any nightshades. Since I do all the cooking, it's been a big adjustment, but if it can help heal him, it's worth it. Good luck to you on your new diet journey. It may take some tweaking but I've no doubt that you can make this work for you. What's one more challenge when you've conquered so many?

erikajeanne said...

You know at this point I consider these tweaks and twists to my daily life "entertaining" if you can believe it. I use the words restriction and deny loosely, as I don't really feel like I'm missing out on much. Keep me posted on how Weston is doing and good for you on taking the challenge (for the most part) with him. I know he appreciates the support, you are so good at that. Have you considered a career in counseling? *wink, wink*