Saturday, May 15, 2010

Ode to Mr. Gibran

When I was 16 years old my grandmother gave me a copy of The Prophet by Khalil Gibran. The binding is gone and I keep it in a zip lock bag to contain the pages. When I was 16 I underlined most of the book and it's comforting to know that what was truest to me then, is still accurate to me today. Not that I'm advocating remaining the same, but it's another reminder (in addition to a lovely photo a friend sent to me this week) that the true intention of the heart never changes.

Here are a few, in no particular order:

-Much of your pain is self-chosen.
-You delight in laying down laws, Yet you delight more in breaking them.
-For what is your friend that you should seek him with hours to kill? Seek him always with hours to live.
-No man can reveal to you aught but that which already lies half asleep in the dawning of your knowledge.
-If he is indeed wise he does not big you enter the house of his wisdom, but rather leads you to the threshold of your own mind.
-The soul walks not upon a line, neither does it grow like a reed. The soul unfolds itself, like a lotus of countless petals.
-Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding.


If you haven't yet read any of Gibran's work, I encourage you to do so. Beyond the really solid statements, they are a terrific read.

No comments: