Saturday, February 6, 2010

Dear Occam, I love you.

Sorry for the lag in posts, I'm in the process of looking for a home to purchase and of course that is eating up the majority of my brain space. So much of this process is mired by, in my opinion, arbitrary number shouting and pages and pages of legal guh-blah-guh-blah, that I find myself looking around for things to shove in my mouth; that nervous eating habit hasn't really left the building. I don't have anything bad to confess: bacon-athon Wednesday, too many date rolls on Sunday, and I had a (a: one, singular, not in multiples) fried appetizer last night. I know right? I throw down about as hard as an Amish grandma these days.

Anyway.

"entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity"

I get really irritated when confronted with inefficiency. Inefficiency with myself, my surroundings, other people. I look at whatever inefficient process and think to myself... "Yes, that's right. Let's make this as complicated as possible, SO IT NEVER GETS DONE." I've been steadily reducing the amount of excuses that keep me from doing "x" thing I want to be doing, and low and behold, shit is getting done at rapid speed pace.

For example: I'm buying a house. I will be a homeowner in a few short weeks. When the doubt creeps in, and I second guess my tenacity, I remind myself that this is not an emotional decision: I'm purchasing something very expensive and it REQUIRES every last bit of logic and practicality instilled in my character from the moment I opened my eyes. But it doesn't need to be complicated. Living within your means can feel restrictive and harsh sometimes, but I know I'm happier when not threatened with financial ruin. Don't you? While this magnificent purchase is being made, I'm doing everything that I can to keep it as simple as possible. I do not need to add to the complexity of the process; banks and the government have already done that for me. All I need to do is make sure that what's broken or fugly is something I can fix, and make sure that there's enough room for Kito, myself, the dog, and our gargantuan couch.

""If a thing can be done adequately by means of one, it is superfluous to do it by means of several; for we observe that nature does not employ two instruments where one suffices."

I'm remarkably tired still. All the time. I've learned to exist in it, and not fight it, which does lessen the blow. My lab tests came back yesterday and thyroid is perfect, right where it needs to be, so we can cross that off the list of potential offenders to my energy. I had an allergy test before New Years and learned that I'm allergic to my dog, which is horrible, and all efforts to remediate dander and dust mites from my house have proven to be somewhat helpful, but did not take away the lead balls of fire which have replaced my eyes. So, where are we now? I think I may have mild sleep apnea. It runs in my family and anyone who has ever slept in the same house with me can attest to my "lumberjack snoring" capabilities. This would explain why the Advocare Nighttime recovery and Natural Calm sent me into fits during the night. People who have sleep apnea and try to use sleep aids often have the opposite reaction, because their body is fighting to breathe. That's not terrifying at all. Not one, pants-pissing bit. The reason why I'm tired all the time might be because I'm not actually sleeping. Doi.

"The simplest explanation that covers all the facts is usually the best."

No comments: