Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Brutal Mix of Noncompliance

Pre-dawn negotiating with my inner three year old isn't as hard as it used to be. I know how horrible I feel when I miss a workout, and 30-45 extra minutes of sleep isn't worth the following 14-some-odd hours I spend wishing I had just gotten out of bed. I have a well oiled autopilot that switches on, coming to a rescue like a parent saving their child from making a poor decision with a "you'll thank me later" quality. This morning was excrutiating. On the way to the gym I spent the entire drive mulling over as many negative things as I could possibly pull out from the recesses of my brain. I even went so far as to criticize my lack of a proper hair tie.

I was on fire.


a visual representation of my mood

During the warm up, shortly after I realized that my shoulder is still pissy (which is completely my fault for not rolling it out as often as I should be doing right now), and right before I decided, definitively, not to care about this workout, Carey swooped in with exactly the right thing to say, at exactly the right time: "You are in control of your day. You have a choice as to how this goes."

And so I chose to step in and care. I didn't have much left in me after all the holes I punched in myself on the drive over, but I gave 100% of what I had and I didn't complain while I was in it.

Sometimes when you are in a sour mood, the last thing you want to admit is that you don't really hate everything, you are just in need of a little rest and a hug.

Sometimes that needed rest is in the form of 5 rounds of a 500m row and heavy thrusters and the hug is a verbal dose of reality from someone who cares.

2 comments:

Catherine Hart said...

That visual representation of your mood just cracked my shit up! I'm still goggling. You've got this girl. You got to that workout and you did it..be proud of yourself! 9 out of 10 people (especially those that are trying to buy a house AND working 11 hour days) would have slept through it. In fact 9 out of 10 people don't even think about doing a workout before work. You rule!!!

Erin Clare said...

Many times, I think I take too much time thinking about all the crap I do wrong in the morning during workouts. I think of how my body won't respond to certain movements. Hello squat form and my recent crapout with my right shoulder due to a pinched nerve. I think "Is this how it will be the next time I come into the gym?". And the spiral goes from there.

I wish I could have been at the gym this week. I would have given you a big ol' hug for having your "mother's voice" kick that conversation to the curb and get you on the other side of the WOD.

I definitely get plagued a bit with the "why are you doing this, Erin... why bother?" I also suffer from the notion that every WOD result has to be well above satisfactory and if it isn't then there's very little forgiveness and more self punishment.

I guess my rambling is more thinking outloud, thanks to your post. There may be an inherent fear or notion that if we let up on ourselves in the slightest... take too much time to have an inner dialog each day that allows us to feel not only inspired by others, but by our own accomplishments... then we're giving ourselves room to slack.

Or maybe that's just applicable to me... cuz I'm a bit of a nut. :)