Working with kettlebells can give you robust bruising if you are like me and get a little sloppy as the fatigue sets in. I look like I've been shaken down. Big, nasty black marks on my shoulders and wrists, conveniently right where a person might grab me, or punch me.
It makes for awkward moments at the checkout stand.
Most people don't say anything, they just give you a "look." One woman asked me if I was ok, eyebrows drawn and a pitying tone to her voice, to which I responded "yes! I'm having a great day, and you?" She was obviously confused by my sudden exuberance and glanced at my bruised arms. "Oh, oh no. No. I lift weights. See my hands?" After looking at the broken skin on my palms I think she believed me. She ended the conversation with "ok, good. Have a nice day." I felt somewhat guilty for not responding in the way she expected and hope she didn't feel strange about our encounter. Her intentions were pure, that's what matters most.
My boyfriend on the other hand would like me to try a little harder to not injure myself in ways that makes me look like an abuse case.
This morning was great. Really, really fantastic.
3 Rounds of:
5 Pull Up
10 Push Up (Chest2Deck Baby!)
15 Air Squats
.....3 rounds, 3 times, record times for each.
My times were:
Round One: 2:48
Round Two: 3:13
Round Three: 3:11
Why was this so fantastic?!?! BECAUSE dear readers, my pull ups felt fast and strong this morning. Granted I was not pairing them with thrusters, BUT I gained a nugget of confidence about getting the job done. I can tell myself in my moments of terror that I've done 15 in less than a minute, I can do 21 in one minute.
We have all had moments that we find ourselves questioning our resolve and the more we push through and make it to the other side unscathed, the stronger our resolve becomes. Guess what is testing my resolve right now? I'm starving. Like, to the point that for a split second I viewed the vending machines as food, which NEVER happens. Yours truly left her trusty lunch pale on the dining room table. In 45 minutes I will walk into a grocery store with a hunger the likes of which my body has not experienced in a LOOOONG time. I will practice deep breathing and make good decisions about what I will eat. Thank God for the leftover chicken in the work fridge. I think I would have passed out by now.
4 comments:
I am in envy of your pull-ups. Complete envy! And wear those KB bruises with pride.
While I moaned and complained about my monkey arms being all drawn up next my boobs for 2 days, secretly, I was happy that the Kettlebell gave me a once over. :)
I wanted to tell you yesterday after the WOD (but I had to run off) that your pull ups were looking amazing. Swinging like a champ!
You're so strong and beautiful!
thanks for the props ladies!!! i'm genuinely excited about tackling them in the workout this weekend. whew!
erin, you WILL get those damn pull ups. and when you do, much squealing will commence :o)
Oh you crack me up....I can totally relate to the "abused" look.
My body has NEVER had so many cuts, scrapes,and bruises that I'm SO proud of. haha
I'll join Erin on the envy train..pull-ups= le sigh
Post a Comment