Monday, November 16, 2009

It's not you it's me.

I bought a new car on Saturday, all by myself. My phone was dead during the negotiating, so I had to rely on years of logged information in my brain, I couldn't call anyone for a second opinion. After many hours driving cars and looking at bottom lines, I picked a 2005 Prius with high mileage that was in my price range. While the car was being detailed and prepped for my ownership I came close to demanding my truck back and getting the hell out of there. The internal dialogue was this: "I have never in my life owned a car with power locks, who the hell do I think I am? A Prius? Are you fucking kidding me? The car doesn't even have KEYS and the spark plugs cost $25 a pop! Did you LOOK at the mileage? Your grandfather is rolling in his grave, child." (he actually wouldn't be. I made a good decision) This was followed by a weak rebuttal and pleas for patience. Anywho, in spite of my atrocious internal dialogue of "you are not worthy of something this nice" I continued through with the process like a freaking zombie. I'm sure I was one of the strangest customers they have ever had. I was wrecked with buyer's remorse and instead of leaving the dealership excited and proud, I cried elephant tears all the way home.

As my boyfriend so eloquently put it when I collapsed into his arms:
"Baby, this isn't the typical reaction. Are you sure you are upset about a car?"

No, probably not but, then again I've never been known for responding in a typical manner. To say that I loved my old truck is the understatement of the century. I felt guilty driving away from it and that guilt hasn't completely disappeared.

However, this car is the nicest thing I have ever owned. It took me a few minutes this morning to realize that the heater is no longer the red portion of a circular dial, but that I actually adjust a thermostat. It even has a storage compartment for my friggin glasses! Welcome to the 21st century ErikaJeanne. The Prius and I are bonding and suddenly driving isn't the task it used to be, it feels more like an opportunity. Sure the mileage is high, but it's also a Toyota. I'm justifying myself back into reality and away from the ledge.

Today's workout was:
20 Med Ball Squat Cleans 20# Ball
5 Burpees
4 Rounds
Time : 8:43
plus med ball work

PS- due to a slight back tweakage from LIFTING 100LBS OVER MY HEAD ON FRIDAY I did not complete Fran. When I do Fran again, I will post my time and it will be sub 8 minutes. Trust.

3 comments:

georgia said...

It's like falling in love again (from what "they" tell me). You'll always have a special place in your heart and life for your truck but the prius is going to take good care of you and introduce you to a whole new world behind the wheel. Congratulations on your new love affair!

badlilmama said...

first of all: 100 lbs over head = superwomanawesome, but kinda to be expected of you at this point.

and congrats on the shiny new-to-you machine! i got my first ever NEW car last year. it was a very emotional, fun, challenging and guilt-ridden experience. (it's a honda fit, the best gas mileage i could get w/ four doors, which i thought would make for better baby getting at -- 35 mpg, not bad! -- next up for me is the prius!)

erikajeanne said...

@georgia, i am finally starting to fall in love with the car! it's hard coming off a lifetime of 5spds as automatic transmissions require a much more developed level of patience, which i do not have. you'll have to let me take you for a ride in my fancy spaceship :o)

@jen, thanks for the kudos, now i just need to be able to clean that weight from the floor and take it to over head, that's the fun part!! those Honda Fit's are the best! GREAT CHOICE and the resale value is pretty much spot on. i wasn't able to even find one used here in austin, they are that popular.