Tuesday, January 6, 2009

If it looks good on paper

It will probably end up being a total bitch to deal with.

That was my story this evening doing the I Am Crossfit workout. All valid excuses aside, I now have a very definite understanding of how to improve on workouts like the one I had tonight. 400m run, 15 pull ups, 7 hang cleans (65#)-3 total rounds....I made it to the 400m run of the third round, with most disappointingly, a bad attitude towards myself. Erika Jeanne, Erika Jeanne...

1. I have to get faster on those runs. The runs need to be easy and breezy instead of painful and long. This will allow me to spend more time on the other, more demanding movements, which I tend to like more anyway.

2. I need to really hone in on the mental cycle I go through during those workouts. When do I start to feel like I'm failing and how can I cut that off? With the zone diet, I realized that dinner needs to be prepped and ready when I get home at 6:30 in order to keep me from justifying convenience food. So much of this exercise/diet process is preparing yourself for that mental crunch. It takes practice to believe in yourself.

3. Feel good about upping the weight, even if it means sacrificing your time. I should never, ever feel bad about this. I am thankful that I regularly up my weight to keep things as challenging as possible, even if it feels like I have been standing still because everything is always so damn hard.

God I hurt like hell. The 65#'s slipped from my hands in the second round and I jammed one of my fingers and managed to hit just above my knee. I will have a really decent bruise tomorrow I'm sure. No structural damage, just soft tissue, which will heal soon enough. I think I'm most pissed about those pull ups being so hard. Even though I did 100 of them yesterday (and decreased my resistance) I still expected to pop those out like nothing.... Ambitious much? Ha....ok, in EIGHT WEEKS, this workout will be mine, sub 12 minutes. Trust.

No comments: