Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Dear Pastry Case, your insides don't play nice with my insides.

Three years ago I decided that I wanted to be fit. Little did I know that fit would transition into athlete. I had no aspirations of running less than a 9 minute mile; I didn't want to do pull ups; I didn't want lift 100#s over my head... I very simply wanted to feel better: better about myself, better in my body, and I knew the clock was ticking. Each second I delayed taking the leap, my bad behavior was gelling and would become more and more difficult to change.

There was no plan, no strategy. All I had was this nagging desire to be different. Frankly, that's all a person really needs.

I completed the I AM CROSSFIT challenge first benchmark this weekend and was very surprised with my results. After nine months of inconsistent training, and total eating failure (ie-peanut butter, nutella and jam sandwiches, wine, wine, wine, you name it, I ate it), I pulled off the elite level and it was like I had never left. I got as far as the very first time I did the workout in 2009.

But, this time I did it with 95# hang cleans and unassisted pull ups. I've never felt so good about a DNF.

My first thought the morning of the challenge was how incredible it was that here I am, about to embark on my fourth year in this new body, and not only am I taking on the elite level, but it's not unreasonable in the least.

I had three goals that day and attaining one would leave me feeling successful:

- Complete 2 full rounds
- Positive thinking the entire time
- Perfect form

On the runs, I spent the time remembering push ups on my knees, not being able to run more than 100m without stopping, using the 10# weights and being so.damn.exhausted. I remembered Catherine and I huffing and puffing, cleaning a 35# bar and being so sore after just a few squats. I had a reunion with my success. I didn't have a negative thought the entire time, my form was perfect, and I got 2 complete rounds done.

My training regimen is very aggressive: 5 workouts a week, plus 400m sprints and a 5k. I'm not on a whiff of Advocare, and I'm going to see how much can really be gained solely on diet and exercise. After a week of clean eating, I stood in front of the pastry case at Whole Foods and literally felt sick. I also replayed the final scene of Labyrinth, where Sarah tells the goblin king "you have no power over me" :



It's at the 2 minute mark.

Anyholyshiti'magonnagetsodamnrippedineightweeks... no almond butter, no cheats, no alcohol, clean as a whistle eating and hard core training. It's going to be off the hook yo.

PS- one thing that is absolutely IMPERATIVE to a successful fitness challenge, is a support team. YOU NEED PEOPLE AROUND YOU. I am lucky enough to have two groups: my IAM team and the Team Phoenix ladies, new member Matti, who are inspirational beyond measure. I get kind of squealie when I think about how fucking amazing our asses and brains will be by March. Bikini shopping will be so satisfying.

4 comments:

Mel_Joulwan said...

GoooOOOOO, Erika! I'm on day 11 of clean eating and hard training... I'm with you sister: it feels awesome!

Congratulations on your success at the I Am Crossfit benchmark -- can't wait to see your performance in eight weeks!

kel said...

You ladies are an awesome inspiration to me (even though my heart skipped a beat at no almond butter...)! I can't wait to see what the end result will be of these 8 weeks!

erikajeanne said...

THANKS LADIES!

@Mel, I love your commitment and you are a steady source of inspiration to me. We need another dinner party soon.... xoxox

@Kel, YOU are doing amazing things in class. I can't wait to see how incredible you look and hear how amazing you feel when all this is said and done. Yeah, no almond butter or nuts of any kind. Oy.

Carey Kepler said...

I remember day 1, you have completely jumped in, nice work my friend!