Friday, July 17, 2009

Dear Vitamin Cottage

I love you.

You are affordable.
You are easy.

I'm so thankful that you opened up in our little town.

I have been a staunch supporter of Wheatsville Co-op for many, many years. However, it has been increasingly difficult for me to shop there because of tightened finances. I love to eat well and eat food that was grown/raised with care and consideration for the people who will eventually put it into their bodies....but, while my heart and activism still belong to Wheatsville, I cannot afford to shop there right now. Eating well can get to be quite expensive.

Vitamin Cottage is selling GT's Kombucha for $1.99. Yes. That is one dollar and ninety nine cents. That is a very clear $1.50 LESS than every other place in town.

They have humanely raised, FANTASTIC bacon for $4.50 a pack!

Almond butter for 4.99/lb!

I could go on and on about this place, I'm completely smitten with their prices and quality products. I'm looking forward to a day when organic is as common as conventionally grown and that the increasing demand for organic products brings the prices to a similar level. A girl can dream....

6 comments:

Mel_Joulwan said...

Where is this wonderful place and does it take a magic carpet to get there?

erikajeanne said...

No magic carpet needed!

It's on Guadalupe between 38th and 45th (where the old Rooster Andrews used to be)....such good stuff!

Unknown said...

I would love to see chain organic grocery stores competing for our business. There is a "Sprouts" grocery store opening up soon on Bee Caves Road where the Office Max used to be. I must check out this new place. Thanks for the heads up.

Mel_Joulwan said...

Thanks for writing about Vitamin Cottage. We went yesterday, and LOVE it. Holy crap. Bulk almonds are priced HALF as much as HEB, and the organic produce is actually affordable. I'm super excited... esp. since we saw Food, Inc. yesterday afternoon and are on a mission to avoid farm-factory food.

girlblake said...

Thanks to your suggestion I now have a 1/2 full tub of delicious almond butter sitting in my fridge, calling my name. It's like a little bite of heaven every time.

April said...

I LOVE Kombucha!!!!