Friday, June 5, 2009

The Resurrection

Today was supposed to be my final doctor's appointment for the next six months.

I was confident.

I have been feeling amazing.

My last two lab reports have been perfect.

And then....

The nurse handed me my labs this morning and my TSH level was in the red zone.

WHAT?!?! NOW?!?! But...my thyroid...is...dead? Like a renegade zombie hand reaching through the grave, that little .1 reading swathed in pink grabbed me by the ankles and solidified another eight months of monitoring and medication adjustments. Damn!

I'm hyperthyroid again. Not by much. It's actually a miniscule amount compared to the levels I have been at. My doctor reassured me that I will never return to my original hyperthyroid state, that would be impossible, but that I needed to be wary of palpitations and overheating. Crap!

So it's back to the goitrogen foods diet, which I was so happy to leave behind when my thyroid hormone started normalizing (with the help of meds). No avocado or coconut. Gah!

This should slip on like an old glove. I know exactly how to operate under these conditions, the trial period is over. I am, however, slightly irritated at the tenacity of my thyroid gland.

On another note....

I'm doing pull ups. Like, actually, really, with strength and grace, doing pull ups. I'm going to think about that while I quietly mourn the disappearance of avocado from my life for the next four weeks.

(Insert heavy sigh)

3 comments:

Mel_Joulwan said...

I'm sorry to hear your news about your thyroid BUT I'm thrilled about your pullups. And I have complete confidence that you'll weather this little bump in the road. Love to you.

Mindy said...

Hey! I am sorry to hear about your lab results.. I am in the exact same situation right now, so if you need to talk.. I'm always here for you. I know its super frustrating, but I know you will get through it!! I will be praying for you and way to go on ur pullups!! Sending you lots of love! =)

girlblake said...

As always, showing grace and determination under pressure. All while continuing to kick ass on your pullups. Go you!