Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Double Unders, Check

After months of failed attempts, yours truly nailed some double unders this morning.

I did not look nearly as graceful as homeboy in the video, but I'm not going to be picky about this one. This victory was a wee Crossfit cupcake, and I had a little party in my mind about it. There are some very large milestones coming up, which I will squeal like a kid when they occur, however, sometimes they come on so fast there isn't any time to declare the momentous occasion. All you can do is say to yourself, as you are transitioning into another exercise, "shit, I just did that thing I never thought I could do." Commence heart being filled with proud...

Workout pal Stacy Doyle got her first big girl jump on the 20" box and she did it without really thinking. Thinking, while lovely, can stop a person dead in their tracks for no good reason. She popped up there before the workout started and did an ohmygoodnesswhatthehelljusthappened dance, not realizing that she had the ability to get 20" of pure air up onto that box all along. That's how a lot of these little milestones are achieved. You just have to do it. Stop thinking. And. Just. Go.

One that I have been dancing around the last six weeks is this feeling that radiates up from my core when I am really pushing myself. It's not a pain or a pinch, but a fluttery sensation and as it starts to well up, I stop whatever I'm doing because frankly, I'm still a little freaked out by it. My instincts tell me that it is not a dangerous thing or a line that I shouldn't cross. It is a line I need to cross if I want to go up a level in these workouts. That's the place where I shave two minutes off my time and the thoughts disappear. So why am I dancing around it and not smack dab in the center, rolling around like a pig in shit?

Because just like that first successful box jump, and double under, and pull up, and real push up, there is no turning back once you hit that tier. You've just established your new "normal" and that can be daunting. I'm going to continue to flirt with that fluttery guts feeling (doesn't it sound cool?) for the next week or so, and then dive in head first.

Congrats Stacey Doyle! I hope you have an ear to ear smile because of that jump all day long.....

3 comments:

Mel_Joulwan said...

"new normal"

I like it!

Catherine Hart said...

Oooo...I like this post! What a great sensation to describe. It's freaky when you realize you can do something that's hard...because now you have to, well, do it!

The Doyle Twins said...

Awwww. I have had thought back to that box jump moment several times today. And yes, the new normal is a little scary. I had no idea how much more difficult those extra 6 inches make a box jump!