Fast forward to now, mid-ish July, and I have a new dog, Perseus:

A new house:

A new life:
Truth is, I'm learning to love it. Right now, I'm still unsure of its intentions.
I've never met anyone who was given such a bold opportunity to forge a new life, and it's one largest mixed-bag-of-emotions situations I've ever been in. Good, bad, ugly, all of the above, at the same time.
In art school the first thing you learn is the terrifying nature of a blank canvas. That first mark is so very, very special; it starts the process and sets up the nature of the piece. Many, many pieces met their demise soon after the first mark, and I'm feeling much like I do when I stand in front of a blank canvas. Metaphorically, this new life/place I'm in is the largest fucking canvas I've ever been in front of, and it is pristine; not a mark, not a blemish, nothing to break the tension. I've seen artists spend HOURS pacing in front of their new, perfectly white pieces. Shit, I've spent DAYS debating that first mark.
My first drawing professor told us his trick: "paint the canvas the most horrid color you can imagine, and I guarantee you'll want to put that mark down quick!" I started painting my canvases pink. This really pukie pink, not fit for anything but a gynecologist's office and it made me dry heave. I had to cover it up quickly.
Of course I can't actually paint my life a horrid color to turn the tension into something comical. However, I can feel as though I'm getting to the stage where I'm becoming annoyed with my own inaction.
That's just as good as the pukie-gyno-vagina pink I used to motivate myself in the past, because being pitiful and sedentary makes me want to dry heave too.
8 comments:
This entire entry makes me excited and happy for you and love you even more. You're an incredible artist. Also, I spy a pretty apron in the kitchen! :)
You *could* paint your life a puke-pink, but I'm glad you've decided not to.
Best of luck with your choices! ... I know it's harder than it looks.
Keep looking at life challenges as opportunities, and everything else will fall into place! Besides, life would be boring if it wasn't a little bit scary now and then right? Anyway, I have no doubt you'll paint a masterpiece!
Big love, sister. You're doing great! And that Perseus is a love muffin.
You're strong, determined and all-around awesome. I'm excited for what the coming year will bring for you. And what a sweet looking pup!
thinking about you today = inspiring. looking forward to any glimpses of this masterful new work that is your life.
Your life painting will be gorgeous without a trace of gyno-pink. You look more beautiful than I have ever seen you. Even though it's an insane mixed bag of emotions, I know you will only thrive. Your soul is free to create the beauty that you are. I'm excited for you!!
everyone, thank you so much for your words of encouragement, they mean a ton. while i am enjoying parts of this, i must confess it isn't all joyful...but it won't be like that forever. xox
Post a Comment