Friday, September 18, 2009

Five Days Down, Eight to Go

Sugar and I have a rocky relationship.
Since my thyroid apocalypse I have been fairly incapable of metabolizing it well and it really can cause a great deal of woe if I get too comfy with having it every day. After the women's challenge this past weekend I decided to nix the sugar, unless it comes from a vegetable, for 14 days.

The first day was easy enough. Slight itch for the sugar, but nothing a little deep breathing couldn't handle. The second and third days were the worst. Grumpy, grumpy, all day long. Nothing could satiate the cravings. Had to buckle down and push through. Yesterday, day number four, was great! My energy was up, the grumpy pants fell off and the veggies pulled me through the day. My sleep patterns are off however. I'm fairly certain that my body raided ancient fat storage and knocked loose some old toxins in the process. Peak times for organ regeneration are between the hours of 2am and 5am, typically speaking, everyone is different. For me, if I'm waking up to pee or need to gulp some water multiple times during these hours it's usually because my body is working hard on repairing itself. Yes, it is terribly annoying, but whatever, I appreciate the help. Thanks, liver and other organs, keep up the good work.

This morning, energy was down and I didn't feel as strong with the power cleans. Normally 75# is easy peasy, and this morning it really didn't pan out that way. "Grace" was the workout, clean and jerk 30 reps. Max is 95#, which I can power clean, but doubt I could jerk. Well, maybe ONCE, but that would be it. I think my brain got twisted around the weight feeling heavy on the jerk and killed my clean power. Who knows? Meh. After class Anna and I ran an 800m and boy is she fast! I'm so envious! Today I was 5 seconds faster than Wednesday, and hopefully that will be a continuing trend. One day my legs will be as swift as my brain so wishes them to be!!!

I just heard that today's free company lunch is pizza. At this stage in the game, adversity and myself are BFF's. Bring it on bitches. I dare you to plop a massive chocolate cake in front of my face, taunt me with fruit platters and mock all my hard work with cookies. Just thinking about it all has given me heartburn.

2 comments:

Aaron said...

Way to stay strong! Keep it up!

Jen Shaw said...

my work used to do that too....and i worked at a gym....