Sleepy eyed and stumbling is, in my opinion, a perfect way to view the white board at the gym before class starts. I was very thankful to still have a protective cushion of brain fog when I read the scheduled workout for this morning....
*800m run
then 5 Rounds of....
*10 burpee box jumps
*10 pull ups
last but not least...
400m run
Now, a burpee box jump looks like this (edit, no not really, instead you jump on the box...this video is ridiculous):
Everyone that was still pushing through the workout from the earlier class looked like they had gone swimming in their clothes, that's always a reassuring sign it's going to be a beast. It was a beast and then some.
I did all my pull ups without the band, and didn't rip my hands! Hooray!! I worked on my form coming back down from the bar, and I think I made some progress. I feel like I'm 14 years old again, learning how to drive stick. Dad reminded me every time I popped the clutch to have patience and memorize the sensation of the transition between clutch and gas. He made me park on a slight hill and "balance" the clutch and the gas, which keeps the car from rolling backwards, and then slowly release the clutch and press the gas to start moving forward. I'm proud to say I never killed a u-joint. I feel like that is pretty similar to the transition from pull up to kipp. I lose momentum when I pop the clutch and have to start over.
Anyanecdote, back to the workout. Holy batman those box jump burpee things kicked my ass! Box jumps are slowly entering the endearment phase, and burpees have been a necessary evil for some time now. However, merging the two together is slightly overwhelming for my cupcake side. Cupcake me says "multitasking multiple fears is not my strength..." Totally not. It was fantastic to hear Ardith helping herself overcome her box jump fears with a hearty "UP!" shout each time her feet left the floor. That helped me quite a bit.
Bittersweet note....
It's time for us to say goodbye to Miss Carla Superwoman as she leaves this weekend to pursue the very admirable career of social work up north in Temple, Texas. I know we will see her during the free workouts, however I will miss her encouragement and her smiling face on a weekly basis. Miss Carla Superwoman, I'm glad you walked into the gym for the Spartan Challenge that Saturday last year.
2 comments:
Thank you, Erika! I will miss you, as well as the other superstars that I've worked out with this summer. It's one thing to meet someone new in class for the first time, and another to witness who that person really is when it comes to facing the challenge of a crossfit workout.
It's amazing to come back to Central and realize that it has been a little over year since I started my crossfit journey. I do remember meeting you that day of the Spartan Challenge last year, as you reassured me that I wasn't going to die and that everyone has to start somewhere. Thank you for that.
P.S. - I totally thought you were going to kick my butt for "stealing" your box jump today after Jenn yelled it. Haha. "CrossFit Tunnel Vision" was she called it. I'm going to miss you and everyone. However, SEE YOU AT THE UTB NEXT WEEKEND!
-Carla Wuthrich
This reminds me of when you helped me learn how to drive a stick shift almost 10 years ago. I've never gone back since, so thanks for that. Way to go on the pullups, you're a superhero!
Post a Comment